One of the most well-liked VR headsets on the market is the Oculus Quest 2. This standalone headset can be used without a powerful PC or gaming console, but some of its features will require an Android or iOS smartphone that is compatible.
Thankfully, connecting your smartphone to your Oculus Quest 2 is simpler than you might imagine. In this blog entry, we will be exploring some of the popular and easy steps to accomplish this. If that is why you are here, keep reading this article as the tutorial comes afterward.
Connecting Quest 2 to a Phone
You need to have an Oculus or Facebook account and the Oculus app installed on your phone to pair a Quest 2 with a phone. Regardless of the type of phone you have, the app works and looks the same on both Android and iPhone devices.
To connect a Quest 2 to a phone, follow these steps:
- By pressing the Oculus button on your right touch controller, you can access the Toolbar.
- Decide to use the quick launch menu (time, battery, Wi-Fi).
- Choose Settings.
- Choose System.
- Select About as you scroll down.
- Keep the pairing code handy.
- Download and install the Oculus app on your phone if you don’t already have it.
- Use your Facebook or Oculus account to log in to the Oculus app.
- Press Menu.
- Tap gadgets
- Click “Pair New Headset.”
- Tap Quest
- Select Continue
- Your phone and your Quest 2 will pair.
- Tap the checkmark after entering the pairing code.
The Oculus App Installation
You must first download the Oculus app on your phone before you can pair it with your Oculus Quest 2 headset. This app not only allows you to customize your Oculus Quest 2 settings and manage your VR apps, but it also allows you to remotely buy, download, and install VR apps. This app is required to configure your Oculus Quest 2 headset.
To install the app on your phone, simply follow these simple steps:
- Check that your phone is running Apple iOS 10 or higher or Android 5.0 or higher.
- Older operating systems may be incompatible with the Oculus app.
- Install the Oculus app on your smartphone.
- The app is available on Google Play and the App Store.
- Open the Oculus app after installing it on your phone and sign in with your Facebook account.
- If you do not already have a Facebook account, create one by tapping “create new account” and following the instructions on the next screen.
After you’ve completed all of these steps, you’ll be able to pair your phone with your Oculus Quest 2 headset.
What Happens If My Phone Isn’t Automatically Paired?
You will need to manually pair your phone with your Oculus Quest 2 headset if it doesn’t do so automatically by entering the pairing code shown in your VR headset.
Put on your headset and read the five-digit code that appears in the display’s lower right corner. To complete the pairing process, you must enter this code into the Oculus app on your phone. Check to see if you entered the 5-digit pairing code correctly if you’re still having trouble pairing your Oculus Quest 2 with your phone.
If the actual code isn’t appearing on your VR headset, you’ll need to take the following steps:
- Restart your Oculus Quest 2 headset after turning it off.
- Restart and turn off your phone.
- Make sure your phone is set to allow Bluetooth and location services.
- On your phone, uninstall and then reinstall the Oculus app.
Your VR headset is already connected to your current phone if it displays your home environment.
Why connect your Quest 2 to your phone?
The benefits of connecting your Quest 2 to a phone are numerous. The app enables you to buy apps and games, check your friend list, view a gallery of screenshots and videos you’ve taken on the headset, and even watch a live stream from the headset—all without needing to wear your headset.
If you want to share your VR experience with someone else, the live stream option is useful. If your Quest 2 and phone are connected, choosing the stream option will mirror your view from the headset to the screen of your phone.
This enables a friend to watch everything you see while playing. For simple playback on a computer or sharing with friends outside the Facebook ecosystem, you can also record gameplay on your phone.
You can share screen captures and videos in The Quest 2, but only through Facebook and Messenger. If you want to use Quest 2 parental controls, pairing your Quest 2 to a phone is also necessary.
Your teen must pair their phone with the Quest 2 and request if you want to use parental controls. Accepting the request will let you control other settings, monitor their VR usage, and choose which games they are allowed to play.
What Happens If I Use a Tablet?
Pairing your Oculus Quest 2 with your tablet is the same as pairing it with your phone.
Before installing the Oculus app, make sure your tablet is running Android 5.0 or iOS 10.
To connect to your Oculus Quest 2 headset, your tablet must also have Bluetooth and Wi-Fi capabilities.
What if I want to pair my phone with another one?
As long as the phone in question has the app installed, you can pair your Oculus Quest 2 headset with multiple smartphones using the Oculus app.
On the phone or tablet you want to pair with the VR headset, just download the Oculus app, then sign in with your account.
You can share your VR headset with three other accounts thanks to the Oculus Quest 2’s multi-user support.
- Select “Settings” from the universal menu on your VR headset, then click the “Experimental Features” tab.
- Then, turn on the “Multiple Accounts and Library Sharing” setting by scrolling down to it.
- Return to “Settings” and click the “Accounts” tab.
- You can then connect up to three additional logins to your Oculus Quest 2.
- When you enable the “App Sharing” feature, your connected accounts will be able to access your paid app library.
Keep in mind that this feature will not affect your existing saved games, stats, or other personal information.
How Would I Cast to My Phone?
You can also choose to send what you see through your headset on your phone using the Oculus Quest 2.
- Press the Menu button on the right touch controller to open the global menu.
- Then choose “Sharing” to begin casting video from your headset.
- Choose “Start” after selecting “Cast.”
- On your phone, a notification will appear after you choose “Start.”
- To start casting, tap the notification to launch the Oculus app.
Tap “Start Casting” when it appears on the in-app prompt if the app is already open on your phone.