TextNow is a free text messaging app that lets you send and receive messages, make phone calls, and even access the internet. It’s a phone service wrapped up in an app. You are given a free phone number through which you can easily communicate with friends and family.
TextNow can be used on any device to get a free phone number and to call and text anywhere in North America for free. TextNow allows you to call and text while connected to Wi-Fi and save money on your phone bill. It also includes features such as voicemail, group texting, and conference calls.
TextNow has apps for both Android and iOS devices. You can get it from the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store and install it on your device of choice. It also has a premium subscription option that unlocks additional features and provides an ad-free experience.
But, if you’re fed up with TextNow’s services and want to cancel (close) or deactivate your account, you can do so. If this is the case, don’t worry; you’ve come to the right place to learn how to cancel or deactivate your TextNow account.
Why should you delete your TextNow account?
TextNow has a lot of users, but it also has a lot of flaws that you should be aware of. Let’s take a look at some of the reasons why you might want to delete your account. If you want to uninstall the app from your device or simply don’t like using this particular texting app, here are some reasons why you should consider abandoning the platform.
TextNow has been chastised by many users for its poor customer support and lack of privacy controls. Users have also complained that they did not receive adequate assistance when they encountered problems with the service. Because of this lack of assistance, paid customers to believe they made a poor decision by choosing TextNow over traditional phone service.
And, while the service is free to use, the free version is littered with advertisements. To gain access to more functionalities and an ad-free experience, you must pay a premium subscription fee.
Another issue that users have raised is that their phone number is revoked if they do not use it regularly. Some users claim that their account’s phone number was terminated after their account was inactive for about two weeks. If you do not use the service regularly, your current number will expire due to inactivity.
Some consumers have also voiced concerns about the unreliability of the service. Users have also reported that the app is buggy and unwieldy. This is true for many other free services, so don’t be disappointed if you don’t always get a high-quality experience when using a free plan.
However, TextNow is not a completely free app, which may discourage you from continuing to use it.
- If you have a good internet connection, you can usually call TextNow users for free; however, you must purchase International Long-Distance Credits to call any local number outside of the United States/Canada.
- In addition, you would need to sign up for a paid plan to lock your number and pay a fee to upgrade your free service to an ad-free experience.
How to Deactivate a TextNow Account
Unfortunately, you cannot delete your TextNow account. Due to some technical reason unknown to us, the service provider does not provide the option to delete the account.
Although TextNow does not allow you to delete your account, this does not mean you cannot delete it.
You can permanently delete and sign out of your TextNow account using alternative methods.
Here’s how to do it: remove your personal information.
- Use an internet browser to navigate to www.textnow.com/messaging and log in with your credentials.
- From the dashboard’s left sidebar, select Settings in the shape of gears.
- Select “Settings.”
- In the settings menu, select “Account.”
- Update your contact information:
Enter “DELETE MY DATA” in the First Name field and leave the Last Name field blank.
Next, in the email section, enter a valid email address ([email protected]), then click Save.
- From the sidebar, select “Security and Login.”
- Select “Log out of all devices.”
This will permanently deactivate your TextNow account.
Even if you stop using the app, your personal information remains associated with the account. As a result, removing your personal information will prevent anyone from contacting you from the app in the future.
Another Way to Deactivate Your TextNow Account
There is a way to deactivate your TextNow account without affecting your personal information.
The solution is to simply stop using it!
Remove the application from your phone. Within the next three days, your TextNow account will be deactivated, and your phone number will be deactivated.
It will ensure that you do not receive any text messages or phone calls via the app, and your phone number will become inaccessible.
Here’s a step-by-step tutorial for uninstalling the app.
- Open your phone’s app store and search for the app.
- For a few seconds, press and hold the TextNow icon on your phone.
- A pop-up overlay menu will appear.
- Depending on the phone brand, select “Uninstall” or “X” to remove the app.
The app will be permanently removed.
You can also go to Phone Settings to find the app and remove it from there.
Does deleting the app result in the cancellation of your Premium membership?
No, deleting the app does not cancel your premium membership, which includes International Call Credits, an ad-free experience, and the ability to lock your phone number.
If you have a paid membership, you should cancel it before deleting the app.
Here’s how to go about it.
For Android users
- Launch the Google Play Store application on your phone.
- Go to the “Menu” tab and select “Account.”
- Select “Subscriptions” and then TexNow.
- Click “Cancel Subscription” at the bottom of the screen.
For iPhone and iPad
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the “App Store” app.
- Look for “Apple ID” at the bottom of the page.
- Select “View Apple ID.”
- Select “Subscriptions” from the drop-down menu as you toggle.
- Select TextNow and confirm your decision by selecting “Cancel Subscription.”
Website cancellation of your Premium membership
- Open your browser and navigate to https://www.textnow.com/account/new. If you haven’t already, please log in.
- On the My Account page, look for the “Cancel My Subscription” button.
- To cancel paid features, select “Cancel My Subscription.”
You can also unsubscribe from paid features via the TextNow app.
- Go to the Menu tab in TextNow.
- At the top of the Menu, select “Premium.”
- Choose Manage Subscription (for Android) or Check Subscription Status (for iOS) (on iOS)
Frequently Asked Questions about Deleting TextNow
How do I discontinue my subscription?
You can cancel your subscription via Google Play or Apple AppStore.
Is it true that TextNow deletes free accounts?
TextNow does not delete free accounts, but your number may be terminated if you do not actively use it for some time.
What happens if I uninstall the app?
When you delete the app, all of its data is erased, but your existing account and premium subscription service are not affected.
What is the procedure for canceling my subscription?
To cancel service after troubleshooting or speaking with a chat representative, go to My Account and click Cancel Your Subscription.
How can I get assistance with my questions?
During business hours, click on the chat icon in the bottom right corner of the app, and one of their agents will assist you in troubleshooting your issues.
What happens if I cancel my service?
If you cancel, your service will be terminated and no further service fees will be charged.