Facebook Messenger is one of the most common applications on the social media platform, and while it’s a great way for users to have personal discussions, it’s also often used by others to start fights or say things they don’t mean. It’s not unusual to make a mistake on Messenger or to feel guilty sending a message right away.
Previously, when these errors occurred, we had no choice but to leave them in Facebook Messenger for all eternity. This is no longer the case on Messenger due to the passage of time and some new features that have been added over time.
You can also archive and delete entire threads that you don’t want to see anymore. Deleted Facebook messages take seconds to delete on your desktop or mobile device now, but deleting entire threads only applies to your inbox, not your friends. Here’s how to go about it:
Deleting Your Messanger Message.
- Firstly, Log into Facebook as you usually would.
- In the upper-right corner, click the Chat Bubble, then See All in Messenger. The latter option is in the bottom-left corner.
- Hover over the discussion and click the Three Horizontal Dots icon on the right-hand side of the message in your inbox to delete the entire message thread. Then, from the pop-up menu, choose Delete.
- You’ll be given three options: Cancel, Delete, or Hide Conversation. To proceed, click Delete.
- To delete a portion of your conversation, enter the conversation and hover over the message you want to remove. Then, select the Three Horizontal Dots and press the Remove button.
- If it’s been less than 10 minutes since you sent the message, you’ll be given the option to delete it for everyone or just yourself. When you’ve made your choice, click Remove.
If you chose the “for everyone” option, the person on the other end of the conversation will be able to see that you removed a message, but the content will no longer be available. If it’s been more than 10 minutes, you can only remove the message for yourself.
Message deletion on your mobile device
- If you have not installed messenger yet, install the Messenger app for iOS or Android and sign in as usual.
- To delete an entire discussion, press and hold the discussion, or swipe the discussion to the left and select the Red Trash Can if you’re using iOS. We understand how easy it is to make this mistake, so don’t be concerned about losing anything valuable. Before deleting, your phone will always ask you to confirm. This applies to both Android and iOS.
- To delete a single message, enter the discussion, hold down the message you want to delete, and then tap Remove at the bottom. Then choose to Remove for You. If you’re using an Android, you’ll need to select Remove once more to confirm. Because iOS users will not see this final prompt, be sure to select Remove for You.
If you act within 10 minutes of sending the message, you will be able to remove it for everybody else. Your phone will allow you to remove for everyone or just yourself. Once you’ve made your choice, click Remove. If you select “for everyone,” the intended recipient will be able to see that you removed a message, but they will not be able to see the message’s content. If it’s been more than 10 minutes, you can only remove the text for yourself.
Do you want to delete multiple conversations at once? On Facebook.com or in the app, there is currently no way of choosing lots of conversations and deleting them in one go. However, you may be able to circumvent this restriction by using a third-party Chrome extension called Fast Delete Messages.
Download and extend it to your Chrome browser and use it to delete numerous chats at once. That is all there is to it. Now that you have the same power as Zuckerberg, you can do whatever you want with it.
Messages on Facebook can be archived.
Instead of deleting all of your messages completely and permanently, you might want to archive them first. This allows you to hide the messages you want to keep. Keep in mind that the steps below will also remove those messages.
Begin by sending a message to the following address in Facebook Messenger:
- Hover your mouse over the conversation you want to delete and press the delete button.
- Three menu dots will appear; click on them.
- Select “Hide” from the three-dot drop-down menu.
This step will remove your unwanted messages from your computer without permanently deleting them. To recover archived messages, go to Facebook Messenger’s Settings and click “Hidden Chats.”
Messages That Have Been Deleted Can Be Recovered
Messages saved in a backup file are the only ones that can be recovered. Users with iPhones may be able to recover their messages by using iCloud recovery. They can be saved in your system’s ES File Explorer for Android users
When you use Facebook Messenger on an Android smartphone or tablet, all of your conversations may be saved. It doesn’t mean they’re gone just because you’re ‘deleting them’ in the messenger.
Facebook Messanger FAQ
How do you turn off Facebook Messenger?
To begin, you must deactivate your Facebook account. Then, in the mobile app, navigate to Chats > profile picture > Legal & Policies > Deactivate Messenger > Deactivate.
How do you exit Facebook Messenger?
- Open the menu on your iPhone
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Please log out.
- Go to Settings & Privacy >
- Settings >
- Security and Login >
- Where You’re Logged In if you’re using a web browser or the Android mobile app. Locate your device and click the three vertical dots.
- Followed by Log Out.
What is the procedure for unblocking someone on Facebook Messenger?
- On iOS and Android
- Navigate to your profile picture >
- Privacy >
- Blocked Accounts.
- Select the person you want to unblock.
- Select Unblock Messages and Calls.
- Select your photo from the Messenger.com website >
- Preferences >
- Account Settings >
- Blocking >
- Block Messages >
What is the Vanish Mode in Facebook Messenger?
Vanish Mode is a Facebook Messenger feature that allows you to send messages, photos, emojis, and other items that vanish once the recipient views them and closes the chat window. It does not work in group chats and you must opt-in to use it.